Tuesday, July 12, 2011

I Am Too Blessed To Be Stressed!

That's my mantra for the next couple of weeks. If you find me chanting it under my breath in a catatonic state, you might want to chat with me later. How is life? Life is stressful, overwhelming, and quite busy at the moment. I feel like selling a house, building a house, and having a baby during all of that...all in one year has aged me a good extra 5 years in 2011. And I now have gray hairs to boot. Didn't have those in 2010.
We are moving into our new home by the end of the month. It's finally here. A few months past the initial deadline, but it's actually going to happen. In less than 18 days. Life today is all about toilet choices, grout color, hardwood floor guys, appliance deliveries, moving dates, front porch materials, and subcontractors. Along with a healthy daily dose of baby spit up, little boy shenanigans, swimming lessons, playdates, VBS, and 12 hour night shifts at the hospital. Somewhere in there I throw some food together and call it dinner.
We have tried oh so hard to keep life as normal as possible for us and the kids through this transition time. Same kind of schedule every day. Same routine to go to bed at night. Mommy and Daddy are always here...doing their best to not let the temporary craziness of life inflict on our family unit.
Surprisingly, when we first told people we were building a house, the answer I got several times over was, "Well, I hope you don't get divorced over it." I was initially shocked that people would say that to me. But after the months on end of the high level of stress involved with building a home, I can understand it completely. I am oh.so.thankful. for a wonderful husband and a strong marriage that not only has stood the test of time, but has become even stronger through all of this. He gets me, and I get him. We had a few ugly spats here and there cause, Lord knows, we are not perfect. But in a couple of weeks when we move in, I am going to wag my finger at those marriage naysayers and say, "Don't think so!" Not only are we still married, we still like each other too.
We are definitely excited to finally move in to our new home. I packed quite aggressively when we sold our home on Blueberry Lane and moved into our small rental for 9 months. We've lived on just the basics, so I know it's going to feel like Christmas in July when we unpack boxes that I packed almost a year ago. And then again, I think...do we really need that stuff that we didn't use all this time? Maybe Goodwill is going to write me a large tax deductible receipt when it is all said and done. Yes, the house is nice and new and everything we picked out. (Picking stuff out...not as much fun as you imagine it to be). But it is just a house...looking at it that way really makes a lot of this stress seem quite trivial at times. More importantly though, I'm most excited about feeling settled. To truly be home in a place that is ours. To hang curtains. To decorate the kid's rooms. To scrub my own toilets. To work the soil in my own yard. To walk out the front door and put Abby on the bus for her first day of school this fall. Yes...after typing all of this...I am definitely too blessed to be stressed. :)

3 comments:

The Guerreiro Family said...

Love it. Couldn't be better said than that!

Heather said...

Stressful, but also very exciting! Can't wait to see pics of the final project.

Betsy Baldwin said...

Happy for you, my friend! Inspiring that you are able to handle all that life brings to you on a daily basis. Congrats :)