Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Understanding Christmas

On a normal day at home in early December, I was washing dishes and this was our conversation:
Abby: "Mama, what's Christmas?"
Me: "Well, Christmas is Jesus' birthday. We celebrate it every year by putting up a Christmas tree; we give gifts to those we love; we sing lots of Christmas songs..."

I hear a gasp and Abby runs off to her toys. I later hear a drawer open and close. About five minutes go by and I go and check on her. She is sitting in the floor of the living room with a brand new roll of tape and her little basketball. There is tons of tape everywhere...most of it wrapped haphazardly around the basketball.

Me: "Abby! What's going on in here?!?"
Abby: "Mama...I was wrapping my present to give Jesus for his birthday!"

Precious. My precious girl. Best waste of tape ever.

No comments: